Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Spectacular September Bloom Day

It may be a day late, but there is no shortage of flowers for Bloom Day. The wild cultivated gardens are even making up for damaging late freezes and heat waves with an extravagant showing in September.

Primarily a spring bloomer, the Ox-Eye Daisy, Leucanthemum vulgare, can still be found this late in the season.




















There are three Goldenrods on this mountain by my count. Identification is tricky. This is Solidago canadensis, Tall Goldenrod I think.




















This is Solidago ?, I have no clue. The flowers are clustered in the leaf axils and the stems do not branch. A third Goldenrod's picture came out too blurry. It might be Solidago rugosa. It would not surprise me if closer inspection turned up another species or two.


























The asters. I got asters. The White Wood Aster, Eurybia divaricata.




















The Blue Wood Aster, Symphyotrichum cordifolium. The flowers are bluer than they appear. The do range from a pale blue to a deep blue.




















The New England Aster, Symphyotrichum novae-angliae. Hate it. Too tall, too floppy and chokes every thing else out. It is more purple than it appears. I even found a pink one today.




















The aster I forgot and don't want to look up to identify. I know it is a different though. It has very tiny flowers.




















Symphyptrichum pilosum, the Frost Aster. I like this one. It has nice woody stems.


























Joe Pye is winding down, but still holding nice color.




















Joe has a lot of near kin folk in the wild cultivated gardens. White Snakeroot, Ageratina altissima.




















The flowers are near identical. The plants look very different. Boneset, Eupatorium perfoliatum.




















The regal Ironweed, Vernonia noveboracensis. I did a little weeding today to plant some Baptisia and found more seedling Ironweed. I look forward to vast quantities of Ironweed.




















Ironweed with Helianthus maximiliani. This perennial sunflower is seeding more than I'd like. It's nice. It's just gigantic and flops to the ground at the moment of bloom.




















There are two wild impatiens, the orange Impatiens capensis and the yellow Impatiens pallida. If they didn't get five feet tall I might appreciate them a bit more.




















The Great Blue Lobelia, Lobelia siphilitica is every where. It qualifies as a dominant species.


























Pink Knotweed, Polygonum pensylvanicum. Might as well learn to love it since I shall never be rid of it.




















All together now.




















Mexican Hat, Ratibida columnifera, has a nice long bloom season. I need to collect seed for flinging.


























Now is the time of year when the grasses come into their full glory. Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light' with Pink Muhly only beginning to glow.


























The grasses have proven to be the quickest way to get some privacy screening from the scenic byway.




















The cozy cabin still peaks through in places. That is the intent. A little peak.




















By the end of the season and well into winter I am not fully exposed to cars passing by. That is the roof of a car on the left.




















Grasses and Goldenrod do their thing, a prelude to fall.




















Last but not least a pink anemone hiding in the Lush, just because it's there.




















This is certainly not a full listing of every thing in bloom on a September day high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top. It is just a sampling and only from my part of the mountain. I didn't get very far from home today. I was resting.

Be sure to visit Bloom Day headquarters for more of your blooming planet.

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Simply gorgeous. Happy GBBD.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa you got a comment in before Blogger even said the thing had published. Amazing how fast other people's internet is.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! I'm trying to catch up on Outside Clyde...have had an awful virus on my home computer. Looks like I've missed a lot! Your mountain top is looking gorgeous as ever. How come the only things that self seed in my yard are ugly weeds! Enjoy this beautiful time of year!

Lola said...

Oh my, what beauty. I'm in love with the grasses. Sure would like the privacy. That's the reason I leave the Lusgustrum? on the West side of my home. I will have to get it trimmed soon as it's about 10 plus ' now. I am glad you got some rest today. You needed it.

Wally said...

Lovely. I especially like the photo of the frost aster with the grasses, the gorgeous purple ironweed, and the grasses and goldenrod doing their thing.