Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bright Yellow Without Raindrops

I see bright vivid yellow flopping in all directions when I pull into my driveway. The Tall Goldenrod, Solidago canadensis is not my favorite of the goldenrods here because it is so floppy. It is the most dominant species. That means there is a lot of it. I will live with it and I will also have no qualms about mercilessly ripping it out where I don't want it.

It is safe for now. It hasn't made the most hated list. Vivid yellow is a redeeming feature.




















It was a most sunny day without rain. Yet.
I hear thunder rolling in the distance.


























Helianthus maximiliani is another big time flopper at the very moment it starts to bloom. It grows straight and tall all season long until the very end when it falls over laden with flowers. This one has got to go. It germinated in my strawberry patch. I let it get much too big. I'll find a place for it where it can flop.




















Compact growth on stiff straight stems is highly desirable even with all the room I have.




















Bright yellow flowers on a sunny day. The sky was filled with the most beautiful fluffy clouds that never spilled a drop.

4 comments:

Lola said...

Those floppies sure are pretty especially this time of yr. Something like that is growing on the sides of the roads. They sure are pretty.
Love those clear blue skies with fluffy floating clouds. Fall is a great time for them.

Lola said...

Just remembered, have you seen the "Yellow Fringed Orchid" anywhere near you?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I have not encountered the yellow fringed orchid yet, only the green fringed.

Gaia Gardener: said...

Maybe you could co-locate the asters and the Maximilian sunflowers? I've got aromatic aster and Wichita Mountains goldenrod planted side by side and I love the color combo - plus the asters don't seem to get phased during the years that the goldenrod gets too tall and floppy.